Tuesday January 4, 2022 |
Best Supplements for Anxiety Management
Anxiety disorders affect approximately 35 to 40 million adults in the U.S. every year, making them one of the most common psychological health conditions. If not treated on time, they can make it difficult to relax, maintain relationships and succeed at work.
A range of medications are available for the treatment of anxiety, but they all have some side effects. This is why people want to know about other ways that can help treat their anxiety without using medicines. Here, we have mentioned some vitamins and supplements that can help you treat your anxiety.
Best Natural Supplements for Anxiety Management
Taking vitamins and supplements for anxiety management can address the 3 major biological factors that contribute to anxiety and panic attacks:
- Low serotonin levels: While the importance of serotonin in the brain is not entirely understood, it has been found to play a vital part in regulating anxiety and mood.
- Low iron levels: Like vitamin B6, iron is also essential for serotonin. Supplements help you avoid iron deficiency in your body and maintain serotonin levels.
- Low vitamin B6 levels: Vitamin B6 is an essential component that helps our body make enough serotonin. Consuming a good amount of vitamin B6 enables you to cope with anxiety.
Supplements that you can take for Anxiety management include;
Gamma-aminobutyric acid or GABA is an amino acid and neurotransmitter found in the brain. It contributes to serotonin production. Since serotonin is one of the most potent neurotransmitters of the central nervous system, GABA plays an essential role in mood relaxation and regulation.
How to use GABA: While several vitamins improve anxiety by affecting gamma-amino butyric acid levels in the brain, this acid can also be consumed directly through supplements to reduce anxiety symptoms.
- Passion flower: Passionflower is a calming herbal product commonly used as a household treatment option for anxiety. Passionflower has been shown to improve sleep quality, promote positive moods and alleviate nervousness.
How to take Passion flower: This substance can be taken as an extract and tablet
or added into tinctures and teas.
- Valerian root: This root has been used for several medicinal purposes since ancient Greece. Although valerian root is commonly known as a sleep aid, this product can also help manage anxiety.
How to consume Valerian root: Valerian root extract is available in both liquid and capsule form.
You can also buy valerian root in the form of tea.
- Licorice root: Most people in the United States enjoy licorice root for its sweet taste. This herb is also used in many beverages and candies. However, licorice root also carries health benefits for individuals with anxiety as it affects adrenal glands.
It regulates the production of a stress hormone called cortisol and helps you feel less anxious. This herb can also soothe gastrointestinal upset, a common condition in people with anxiety.
How to consume Licorice root: Most drinks and candies that claim to contain licorice only have flavoring, which is not as efficient as licorice root. It is beneficial to take licorice unpurified and extracted form. Licorice root is available in capsule, chewable tablet form, and tea.
- Ashwagandha: For centuries, ashwagandha has been considered the best Ayurvedic medicine to improve energy and treat anxiety. The root is viewed as a compound that helps regulate the body’s natural process and promote overall health in natural medicine. Today, many people use this herb to improve mood and reduce anxiety.
How to consume ashwagandha: You can enjoy its benefits by eating the fruit, seeds,
and shoots of the plant it is derived from. However, one can take ashwagandha also in tablet forms.
- Rhodiola: This herb is also known as golden root and has a long history of medicinal use in traditional Siberian and Chinese medicine. Like ashwagandha, it is considered an adaptogen. Rhodiola promotes mental and physical health while improving resilience to stress.
How to use Rhodiola: This herb is typically taken in capsule form. However, Rhodiola is also available in teas and extracts.
- Lavender: Some people with anxiety find the fragrance of lavender relaxing. This herbal product helps you manage your depression and insomnia.
How to use Lavender: You can use lavender essential oil by using an oil diffuser. You can also apply lavender essential oil to the skin after mixing it with olive or coconut oil.
- Lemon balm:It is an herb that features leaves with a lemon-like aroma. Lemon balm is associated with a mint and is a well-known remedy. According to medical research, lemon balm tea improves anxiety symptoms and sleep quality in people with unbalanced brain chemicals.
How to take lemon balm: You can take this herb in the form of capsules. People who took capsules containing 1.5 grams of dried lemon balm had lower anxiety levels than other individuals with the same condition.
In addition to these substances, many other supplements can be beneficial for people with long-term or even short-term anxiety. Although every herbal product (given in the blog) works well for anxiety management, choosing the most suitable treatment is always recommended.
Therefore, we suggest you talk with your doctor before taking any herbal product. Your doctor will evaluate your symptoms and the severity of the condition and then finalize the best treatment for you.
Thanks for giving us your valuable time. We hope this information will help you cope with anxiety. For more information or to know anything about our website, please feel free to give us your feedback in the comment box.