Showing all 3 results
Hydromorphone, also known as dihydromorphinone, is available under the brand name Dilaudid. It is an oral tablet and is also available as a generic drug. These are generic drugs that means they can be found anywhere and are costless. To treat severe to moderate pain Hydromorphone is used. This drug is quite more popular than any other available drug.
Hydromorphone is given in three ways 1) Oral solution 2) Injectable solution 3) High-potency injectable solution
- Before taking any drug it is highly recommended to ask medical practitioners. For any injectable solution, you should be under proper medical care.
- Those who are under heroin addiction are also given Hydromorphone under medical care. Medical care is necessary for those who are under addiction as it can cause seizures while under prescribed drug. Without any medical care it can cause fatal death.
- Hydromorphone is generally not recommended under pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- You should not take this medicine if you have severe asthma or breathing problems blockage in your stomach or intestine bowel obstruction called paralytic ileus
What to know before taking Hydromorphone?
Do not use Hydromorphone if you were under MAO inhibitors for the past 14 days. MAO Inhibitors include isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue injection, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, tranylcypromine, etc. This drug cannot be used with these inhibitors as it can be dangerous interactions. It is highly desirable to consult a doctor and tell any medical history which includes
- Mental illness
- Alcoholism or drug addict
- Urinary problem
- Head problem or seizures
- Problems with gallbladder, pancreas, or thyroid
If you have any allergies regarding drugs you should discuss it with your doctor or medical practitioner.
How to take a Hydromorphone?
Follow the prescription label recommended by the medical practitioner. Do not take the drug more than written on the label or for a longer duration. Generally, the doctor will start providing tablets with a small dosage and adjust with time which is right for you.
- The Hydromorphone dose will generally depend on age of the patient medical history of that patient the severity of your condition
- The form of the drug which will respond to your body
- It is advisable to stop taking any other narcotic pain drug while you are in treatment with Hydromorphone.
- Hydromorphone should be taken with extreme precautions as misuse of this drug can cause you a drug addict.
- Immediately withdrawing this drug can give you some withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms can only be avoided if you consult your drawing before withdrawing this drug.
- Never chew or break this drug. It will be advised if you just swallow this tablet.
- Store this tablet at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and temperature.
- If you are left with your opioid medication. It is better to talk to the pharmacist and return them as one extra dose can cause death.
- Always keep track of your drug.
“Avoid taking medications that are drug-addicted as you can also become addicted”.
Hydromorphone side effects
Get urgent emergency medical care if you have started having certain side- effects due to your allergies like those of hives, swelling, difficulty breathing, swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat. If you have difficulty breathing, blue-colored lips, or waking up is a tedious job for you while you are in treatment consult a doctor. If you have a long pause in breathing while you are in treatment, the person who is taking care of you should immediately consult the doctor.
Call the doctor immediately if you are having
- Noisy breathing, sighing, shallow breathing, breathing that stops during sleep.
- A slow heart rate or weak pulse.
- Confusion, feelings of extreme happiness or sadness.
- Severe weakness or drowsiness.
- A light-headed feeling, like you, might pass out.
- Low cortisol levels –nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, dizziness, worsening tiredness, or weakness.
- Avoid taking this drug for a longer time as it can cause fertility problems in both men and women.
Common side effects include dizziness, drowsiness, headache, and stomach pain.